Elementary School Teacher
The Grammar School, an independent school located in Putney, Vermont, seeks teacher candidates in the elementary grades (1st through 5th) to begin August 2017. The Grammar School, serving preschool through eighth grade, is foremost defined by its culture of kindness. The academic program includes integrated and experiential classes and exceptional programs in the arts and the outdoors. Founded in 1960 by a committed group of parents and educators, the school is located on 60 acres of fields and woodlands and has a student community of 110.
Our students participate in hands-on learning activities that combine the humanities and the arts and cultivate practical, intellectual, and creative skills. Collaboration and respectful interactions are key attributes of the curriculum, while we continue to emphasize the development of critical skills as readers and writers. Students play active games that promote constructive group dynamics and develop resilience. In addition, The Grammar School enjoys a long tradition of outdoor winter sports, particularly nordic skiing. Throughout the year, field trips and outdoor activities introduce and reinforce concepts that lead to a deeper understanding of both social relationships and connections to the natural world.
We seek candidates with a willingness to collaborate, an appreciation for teaching the whole child, and strong organizational skills.
Specific Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
- Teach a curriculum integrating the humanities, sciences, and global educational themes
- Communicate about student progress via written reports and parent conferences
- Work collaboratively with other faculty members
- Attend weekly faculty meetings
- Cover recess duties as assigned
- Advanced teaching degree or certification preferred
- Prior experience teaching math and literacy to elementary students
- Prior experience teaching and designing an integrated curriculum
- Passion for teaching and leading experiential activities in the classroom and outdoors
- Prior experience delivering a social curriculum and fostering a respectful and kind classroom community
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to communicate with children, families, and staff
- Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume in one PDF to email@example.com as soon as possible.
The Grammar School
69 Hickory Ridge Road South
Putney, VT 05346