4th/5th Grade Teacher
The Grammar School, an independent school located in Putney, Vermont, seeks a combined 4th/5th grade teacher for the 2018-19 school year. The Grammar School, serving preschool through eighth grade, is foremost defined by its culture of kindness. The academic program includes integrated and experiential classes and exceptional programs in the arts and the outdoors. Founded in 1960 by a committed group of parents and educators, the school is located on 60 acres of fields and forest and has a close-knit student and adult community of 120.
Outdoor study and play are key components of The Grammar School’s educational philosophy. Students are engaged at all grade levels in the natural world. We believe that time spent outdoors teaches us to observe, to collaborate, and to improvise. Students build understanding about systems and the interconnectedness of our world while enjoying the cognitive, emotional, and physical benefits of spending time in the outdoors.
Our students participate in hands-on learning activities that combine the humanities and the arts and cultivate practical, intellectual, and creative skills. We emphasize the development of critical skills in reading and writing. Collaboration and respectful interactions are key attributes of the curriculum. Students play active games that promote constructive group dynamics and develop resilience. In addition, The Grammar School enjoys a long tradition of outdoor winter sports, particularly Nordic skiing.
We seek candidates with a willingness to collaborate, an appreciation for teaching the whole child, and strong organizational skills.
- Teach a curriculum integrating the humanities, sciences, and global educational themes
- Communicate about student progress via written reports and parent conferences
- Advanced teaching degree or certification preferred
- Certification in environmental or outdoor education preferred
- Prior experience teaching math and literacy to elementary students
- Prior experience teaching and designing an integrated curriculum
- Passion for teaching and leading experiential activities in the classroom and outdoors
- Prior experience delivering a social curriculum and fostering a respectful and kind classroom community
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to communicate with children, families, and staff